National History

The Links, Incorporated is an international, not for profit, corporation, founded by friends on the premise of service and friendship.  In 1946, two friends Margaret Rossell Hawkins and Sarah Strickland Scott established The Links, Incorporated.  By 1946, Margaret Rossell Hawkins’ vision for an intercity club of friends that would serve as a force for good in the community had taken shape as the Philadelphia Links, and together wanted to create similar opportunities in their communities.  With guidance from the Philadelphia group, 13 clubs formed along the Eastern seaboard within a three-year period, seven in 1948 and six more in 1949.   The Links, Incorporated has since grown to 274 Chapters in 42 states, the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of the Bahamas.  The membership consists of 12,381 professional and is one of the nation’s oldest and largest volunteer service organizations of extraordinary women who are committed to enriching, sustaining and ensuring the culture of economic survival of African Americans and other persons of African ancestry.

To learn more visit the The Links, Incorporated or our area organization, Central Area of The Links, Incorporated